Life is uncertain, eat dessert first

Our life is made out of a great number of small incidents and a small number of great ones. People tend to remember the great incidents, as for me I love to remember the small ones instead. And throughout my life, stupid things happen to me all the time. Because it happens to me all the time, people think that I am stupid. To tell you the truth, I am not. Stupidity comes to me like a bad luck. I am about to tell you a stupid event which remained vivid in my memory.

Flashing back 15 years ago, I was just a little girl in primary school. My grandmother believe, as a growing child, I must have a proper three course meal everyday. So she packed my school lunch for me. Everyday I will get a small portion of sandwich for entree, noodles or rice for the mains, and a different selection of dessert all the time.

One fine day, she prepared berry pancakes for my dessert. It was a big day that I can never forget. That's because it was really unusual. I only get fruits or cakes for dessert. But that day, I had a berry pancake!!!!!!!!

I had a torturing three hours of classes before the break. That is because I couldn't wait to eat that berry pancake in my lunch box. Finally when the bell rang, I rushed to the canteen where other children were seated. Slowly I open up my lunch box and display all my food on the table.

I was contemplating of eating the berry pancake first, but I remember my wise father taught me, "You must save the best for last then the taste will remain longer in your mouth". It became a habit for me to do that. To think about it, no wonder they serve dessert at the end of the meal. Because it is the best part of all. But after you continue reading this story, you might change your perception. I'll give you a good advice, life is uncertain, eat your dessert first.

I chewed my food and I swallowed. Chewed and swallowed. After done that repeatedly, I came to the dessert moment. The berry pancake was staring at me and begging me to eat them.

But before I could pick up my fork, the fire alarm went off. All the children start to get panic and running around like headless chicken. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to ignore the commotion and continue eating my berry dessert but there was an announcement on the speaker that everyone has to leave for the field immediately. My teacher grabbed my arms and dragged me out of my chair. There I was...parting with my berry pancake like two lovers refuse to let go off their hands at the train station.

Eventually, I was standing at the field, but my heart was with the berry pancake. The headmaster announced that there was no fire and it was merely a fire drill. He must be playing a personal prank with me. After half hour listening to his endless speech, we were allowed to dismiss.

I ran to the canteen, only to find that the place was perfectly clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked the cleaner where was my berry dessert, and she told me she threw away everything on the table, so my berry dessert is probably in the rubbish bin. I couldn't believe she threw away the most precious dessert I've ever got in my schooling days! I felt like I was just been sucked into a black hole.

Just so you know, I spent the next five years in school eating fruits and cakes for my dessert. I awaited for the precious berry pancake, but for some reason, my grandmother did not make it anymore.

Share:

0 comments