Daifuku @ Chado, Tasmania



Since I was a baby, my grandfather taught me a lot about tea. I remember we have a small tea table in the living room where my grandfather make his tea. When I discovered Chado, I was so happy because I haven't been drinking tea from tea leafs since I came to Australia. Right now I'm a frequent customer there, to the point I can memorize their tea menu - they have blooming tea, green tea, oolong tea, and black tea. I'm still waiting for them to import white tea and chai tea.


Anyway, I had some sweets to go with my tea. I had daimyo matcha iri genmai cha uji, it's Japanese tea (duh!) brewed with brown rice. It's my favorite tea of all time after monkey's paw. I don't know how to describe the tea. It tasted like green tea but with extra brown rice fragrance. If you have a chance, please try it. You'll beg for more.


I saw wagashi daifuku in the desserts menu so I picked it. It's scrumdililycious!!! 100% Japanese taste. In Australia, whenever I see a foreign name on the menu, I always expect it to be fushion instead of the original taste. But the daifuku surprised me!


For those of you who don't know what a daifuku is, it's actually called mochi too. If you don't even know what a mochi is, it's a rice cake with filling. The one I had is red bean paste. It's quite funny why they name it wagashi daifuku. Normally it's called kuromame daifuku. Wagashi is the cake name, whereas daifuku is the type. I don't know how to distinguish the different types of wagashi because I honestly don't know how they make this.



When I'm sitting in the tea house, I observed how the caucasians here order their tea. You can definitely tell that they have zero knowledge of tea. I almost choke with that daifuku in my mouth when I heard someone wanted Oolong Milk Tea. For god's sake, there's no such thing as Oolong Milk Tea. I'm not sure who came out with that kind of fusion tea, but it's definitely an insult to the proper art of drinking tea.


Chado Way of Tea
134 Elizabeth St
Hobart TAS
7000 AUSTRALIA

Share:

2 comments