Desserts @ Kermadec, Auckland

On my last day of stay in Auckland, I made a reservation at Kermadec. Now that my The Search for Auckland's Best Fish Continues is up on Mad Style, you can read the rest of my experience at Kermadec. Or you could just drool over the photos of my food. Teehee...


Anyway, let's get things straight to the point. I ordered the salted caramel mousse with caramelized puff pastry, apple and cinnamon beignets, granny smith sorbet, feijoa and pain d'epice. Although I've said this on my blog, I'm going to say it again here.... Isn't this looks like some pop art????




Will Wayne Thiebaud or Yayoi Kusama inspired by this? Pretty right? I can frame this up and hang it on my wall. I really love the plating. Among all the selections on the plate I love the salted caramel mousse the most. Duh! The mousse is wrapped in pain d'epice crumbs. The caramel puff pastry with apple and cinnamon beignets was my second choice. Then comes the Pocky look alike pastry sticks. And the granny smith sorbet. And the rest are real feijoa fruits and bits and pieces of artistic touch.


I was debating whether to order the mandrin balloon dessert or the salted caramel mousse. I'm not regret getting the salted caramel mousse, but I'm just not happy that I haven't tasted any of the balloon dessert before. You can't get the balloon dessert anywhere, and it so happen Kermadec is one of the very few places that makes good balloon dessert. I'm so fascinated by it.



For dessert tasting, I had sweetcorn sorbet.




Like one of those veggie haters, I was really sceptical about veggie desserts. Can one actually make desserts out of veggies? Well, I must say there are some daring and creative pastry chef had made it. The very common veggies used are beetroot and corn. The sweetcorn sorbet was served with cheesecake and caramelized popcorns. After I had it, I must say it's quite addictive. The sweetcorn sorbet is sweet (duh!) but not the sweetness like sweetcorn. Anyway, I don't know what I'm talking about. But trust me, it's nice. If you order the sweetcorn sorbet from the menu, it will look like this...




Another beautiful presentation. I'm actually stealing these photos from the pastry chef's blog, please do enjoy it.



And then, there's mango and passionfruit sorbet.



Do you see the gel-like looking stripes? I'm curious how they do it? This shows that they don't just scoop the sorbet out of a big tub, but each sorbet is made seperately. What an effort! And it was served with caramel powder and caramel syrup. Really refreshing.

Lastly, I have the petit four.



Here's the original settings.


Nice right? I'm stealing photo again just to show you how nice it is. Petit four is always a good choice to end. The beetroot and yoghurt marshmallows are scrumpvarycious!



Do you think the pastry chef will get angry if he knows I stole his photos? Now that I've showed you all of his art work, I must introduce the guy behind all the masterpiece. He's none other than the pastry chef Brian Campbell.

He has the sweetest job one can dream of. At least for me, I would want to be him, creating desserts and making people happy. And he's going to Spain soon to inspire himself while working with different kitchens there. Can you not admire his job? Actually, all the tasting desserts are courtesy of Brian. He got me so anxious when he text me in the morning about the tasting desserts. Brian, will there be anymore desserts tasting if I move to Auckland? Geez, I sound so greedy.



Now you can also make these dessert yourself. Look for the recipe at Brian Campbell's blog >>> Sweet Cuisine. You'll learn from the expert yourself. You can't help it but to imagine yourself as a pastry chef when he updates about his work. You will just tell yourself, "God, I wish I was him!" Like I said, he has the sweetest job you can ever ask for.

Share:

4 comments