Nyonya dessert

The term Nyonya means a hybrid of Malay and Chinese descendant. On my last meal in Melbourne, Yvonne asked me what I would like to eat, and I said anything Asian. When I'm back in Tasmania, there is hardly any good Asian food around. We then went to Kopitiam at Little Bourke Street. This is the same branch of Kopitiam you can find back in Malaysia. The menu is the same.

But the taste was kinda disappointing.
Yvonne ordered Bubur Cha-cha.

It's a popular Nyonya dessert made of fragant coconut and pandanus soup with fresh yam, sweet potatoes, and colourful tapioca pearls.
I ordered the Cendol.

It looks like a huge piece of ice-breg in a bowl. It supposed to be shaving of ice poured over pandanus droplets, then coconut milk and palm sugar syrup are poured over. Unfortunately, the pandanus droplets looked more like a neon glow-in-the-dark string. And they weren't quite generous with the palm sugar, so all you can taste is actually coconut milk. Quite yucky.

I can't wait to go back Malaysia for a proper Cendol and Bubur Cha Cha.

Share:

3 comments